from sauvanelle to desaigues
The Sauvanelles, mayors and magistrates in Libourne, arrived on the lands now known as Château de Sales in the second half of the 16th century, leasing the fief from Dominican monks from Saint-Emilion. The estate remained in the Sauvanelle family for more than 150 years.
In 1602, success arrived for the winemaking estate, which was managed by the Sauvanelle brothers, known as the Seigneurs de Sales (Lords of Sales). Together, they started exporting both white and red wines to Spain.
In 1643, the renowned Libourne family decided to build a château on the property, which until then had had only a fortified house. The Louis XIII-style country house underwent slight changes in the 18th and 19th centuries.
In 1735, having no male heir, François de Sauvanelle gave the property as a dowry to his second daughter, Jeanne-Magdeleine, when she married Mr Desaigues.